Monday, November 24, 2008

Rusty's RailCats Roundup: Getting in the Holiday Spirit

Hello hello! Rusty the RailCat here! I know if you're like me, you're just itching (and believe me – I do get itchy) to get to May already so we can play baseball again. But alas, it's still six long months until we see our favorite RailCats take the field and watch in awe at their breakneck base running, first-class fielding, powerful pitching and bang-up batting skills!

In the meantime, my trouble-making brother Rascal just reminded me that one of our favorite holidays is right around the corner: Thanksgiving! We look forward to this holiday almost as much as Spring Training because it involves our second favorite thing on earth (next to RailCats baseball games, obviously): FOOD!

I can't wait to dig into the famous cranberry sauce of RailCats Manager Greg Tagert. He even throws in a pinch of cat nip to really make the dish hit home. Oh, and Roger Wexelberg makes the yummiest pumpkin pie this side of Wednesday. My tummy is growling up a storm right now just thinking about it!

But even a fat cat like me recognizes that Turkey Day is about more than just food. So, in preparation for the big T, I've made a list of 10 things I'm thankful for this year:

10. My little brother Rascal. As much as a pain in the you-know-what he can be sometimes, RailCats games wouldn't be the same without him.
9. The Mascot Race. Could you imagine what a really big fat cat I'd be if I didn't get that exercise? I couldn't even climb out of the dugout!
8. Cat nip. Man – that stuff is crazy!
7. The 2008 RailCats. What a season! We broke so many Northern League and team records. And who could forget the dramatic playoffs – those RailCats really did a cat proud.
6. Size XXXXL. Wouldn't I be a humiliated kitty if my jerseys didn't cover my bum!
5. Spring Training. Seeing all my favorite players like Jay Pecci, Steve Haake and Tanner Townsend descend upon the Steel Yard puts a spring in my step and purr in my throat. I can't wait for the 2009 season!
4. Garfield. He's the coolest cat around (aside from yours truly, of course). Plus, I can totally relate to his love of lasagna.
3. SouthShore Depot II. The RailCats have a new store at the mall, and I couldn’t be more pumped to be dressing up as Santa Claus (Santa Cat?) in December. It’ll be great as long as no little JackHammers or Flyers are hanging around.
2. All the people behind the scenes who work so hard to build and maintain the RailCats Tradition of Excellence. From sponsors to staff – you are what make the RailCats affordable family fun! I tip my hat to you all.
1. YOU THE FANS! There's no other fan quite like a RailCat fan! You guys are some of the most loyal, enthusiastic people around. I get such a rush from the energy you bring to the Steel Yard on game day!

And that's just my top 10! Now where's RascaI? I got a hankering to practice my dance moves so I can kick his scrawny tush in our dance-offs next season...

Go RailCats!

-Rusty

No comments:

Post a Comment